District 117 History
Prior to the district’s creation, high
school courses were offered at the Antioch Grade School, and high
school diplomas were awarded as far back as 1898. On May 15, 1915
voters approved a proposition to create Antioch Township High School
District 117, and plans were made immediately to build a high school.
On March 24, 1916, Antioch Township High School
was dedicated, and six students graduated that June. As the district’s
population increased, the high school was expanded to accommodate
the growing enrollment. Additions to the school in 1927, 1953, 1962,
and 1972 increased its capacity. To reflect the growing area being
served, the name was changed to Antioch Community High School District
117 in 1963.
Township High School, 1915